Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday, May 27th

After a 4 hour bus ride from Guatemala City this morning I am now in Zacapa.  My flight came in on Tuesday and I have been staying with the kids of my host parents (Maribel and Reynaldo) in Guatemala City until today.  Here is a picture of Ximenna, Jossymar, and their Grandma, Maria.  



They have another kid named Nimrod, but he doesn't like his picture taken, I never found out why.  I had a good time hanging out with these guys in their tiny apartment and I also had fun getting to know the Capital a little better.  Jossymar took me to "El Palacio" in "Zona Una," this is the capital building and the center of the city.  On the square there was the palace, the big catholic church and many shops and what looked residential living.  Here are some pictures of the town square.

Jossymar finished his bachelors degree in biology/chemistry, I believe, and now he is seeking further education in nutrition and ultimately wants to move back to Zacapa to help some of the poorer regions here with their diet and nutrition.  Ximenna is at the university studying pharmacy.  And the youngest, Nimrod is studying Psychology at a University in Guatemala City.  

There were five of us in this little apartment that had just three small bedrooms.  Their grandpa died recently and now their grandma stays with them during the weeks and then goes to her house near Guatemala City on the weekends.  They were very hospitable and friendly.  

Today, Jossymar took me to the bus station to catch a ride to Zacapa.  We left the house at 6:00 this morning and arrived at the bus station around 6:30.  When I got out of the car several men tried to direct me to their bus and take my bags and Jossymar told me not to listen to them.  He took me to a bus and I jumped on and didn't ask any questions.  

Maribel and Reynaldo are both lawyers and I am now sitting in one of the three offices they have here in Zacapa.  This week I will be getting familiar with my new surroundings and Wednesday I will be going to La Avanzada, a small town in the mountains, with Ramiro (CALMS housing coordinator) to talk to and prepare the people there for the coming of the first group I will be working with- a group of 19 from my home church, Divine Shepherd, Omaha.  They arrive on Saturday, June 4th and I will be going to the airport in Guatemala City to pick them up. 

Thank you for reading my blog,
Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment